Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Meditations from Psalm 37

Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to only have a page or a chapter of the Bible. It would be hard to pick what part I would want. The Bible is so good. It makes me think of what Paul was saying in 2 Timothy 4:16-17 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness: 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work (NASB). There are some Christians in the world who only had the privilege of having a page, chapter or some small part of the Bible. It is inspiring to me that those Christians would guard it with their lives and do their best to live by it every day. I am so fortunate to have several copies of the Bible. This is a huge responsibility at the same time.

There are so many things in Psalm 37 that I think this could be one chapter that a Christian could stick to and have a successful Christian life. The NASB titles the psalm: "Security of Those Who Trust in the Lord, and Insecurity of the Wicked." Selah (Pause and think on that). I added the Selah because I think this can be so helpful for the times that we are living in. This chapter talks about the things a righteous person needs to do and it outlines the results of being a righteous person. This psalm has so much in it. There are also some things that the righteous are instructed and reminded to do. I am going to share those in another post.

Here are some of the results for the righteous:
v4 He will give you the desires of your heart
v5 He will do it
v9 Inheritance of the land
v11 Inheritance of the land
v17 The Lord sustains the righteous
v19 And in the days of famine they will have abundance
v23 The steps of a man are established by the Lord
v24 When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong because the Lord is the one who holds his hand
v25 I have never seen the righteous forsaken or his descendants begging bread
v28 And He does not forsake His godly ones
v31 His (the righteous man's) steps do not slip

I am so thankful to God that He has made me righteous through the redemptive work of His son, Jesus.

v39 But the salvation of the righteous is from the Lord; He is their strength in time of trouble.
v40 The Lord helps them and delivers them; He delivers them from the wicked and saves them because they take refuge in Him.

No comments: