Friday, August 8, 2008

Be Still and Know

The other day I was reading a post by Heidi at Find Me... Find Life... Real Life... . It got me thinking about how I deal with unpleasant things. A lot of times I try and conquer them or figure out some way to get to the other side of them. I was an "All my problems will be solved by Wednesday" type of child. I would honestly think through my week and ponder everything going on and figure that it when all my problems would be over. I am a thinker, which can be a good thing. It can also be a very bad thing because it can be hard to shut off at times. Those are the times that God reminds me of Psalm 46:10. In the NASB it says, "Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

There are many times in the Bible that God mentions to be still. In Saul's day He said, "Even now, take your stand and see this great thing which the Lord will perform before your eyes" (1 Samuel 12:16). In King Jehoshaphat's day, He said: "You need not fight in this battle; station yourselves, stand and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem, Do not fear or be dismayed for the Lord is with you" (2 Chronicles 20:17). In Nehemiah's day, He said: "The Joy of the Lord is your strength" (Nehemiah 8:10) and the Levites encouraged the calmed the people and said: "Be still, for the day is holy; do not be grieved" (8:11). In Mark 4:39, Jesus told the storm to "Be Still."

I typically find it easier to believe God for the things I consider to be more important or larger. But when it comes to the smaller things, I find myself thinking that not only am I able to deal with them but that they are my responsibility. Yet, God never said that. He is cares about the little things just as much as the big things. I am faced with smaller things more often then larger things. When I deal with the smaller things on my own, they are much more difficult than they need to be because I complicate them.

Do you trust and involve God in every area of your life?

No comments: