Monday, January 14, 2008

The Importance of Confidence


B.elieve in Yourself

After writing the Bloom poem, I was getting ready to give a devotion to my cheerleaders. (I am actually a long term sub coach, but I count them mine. The really nice factor is that I am getting to enjoy all the hard work they have put in since August.) I have a book called Dare To Dream...Then Do It by John Maxwell that I like to find quotes in. In looking through the book I found a chapter titled "Believe in Yourself" which stresses the importance of confidence. One thing that can have an effect on our confidence is past mistakes. On page twenty-seven John mentions "Don't build a monument to your mistakes." He goes on to talk about Arnie Palmer, the golf legend. After the 1961 Los Angeles Open a bronze plaque was placed at a hole that Arnie Palmer, who was the greatest golfer in the world at the time, did terrible. Stunting in cheerleading can be a lot like golf. There are so many different factors that can hinder a stunt from going up or make it come down prematurely. Cheerleading routine is that they are very fast moving and short. Mistakes need to be put behind you quickly so that they don't have an effect on the rest of the routine. (I have to say my cheerleaders are doing very well in this area!)

We should treat mistakes in life the same way. Of course, we have to deal with the effects of them at times. Then we should put them behind us as quickly as possible and move on. I am not saying that this is easy to do. One thing that will help is to monitor our thought lives. Philippians 4:8 says to think on things that are "true, noble, pure, lovely, of good report." We also need to remember that when He forgives us, He forgets about it. We have to remember that He does not condemn us (Romans 8:1) but the enemy of our souls does. Joshua 1:8 reminds us to meditate on the Word of God and be a doer of it then "you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success."

I am so thankful to God that He never forsakes us. In Deuteronomy 31:6 it says, " Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you." Even when I repeat mistakes, He doesn't give up on me. I am so thankful that we are "called according to His purpose" with a calling that is "not according to our works" (2 Timothy 1:9). Our calling is not reliant upon the things we do or don't do.

Be encouraged today! God has called us. He has begun a good work in us and He will carry until completion (Philippians 1:6). He has given us open access to Him so that we can go before him with boldness and confidence (Ephesians 3:12). We can be confident that God created us and He will help us do what we are called to do. In fact, we cannot do it in our own strength. But He enables us so that the glory goes to Him. (By the way, the routine went very well and all the stunts hit!)

No comments: